RES Pre-K Readiness Program
Thank you for your interest in Rawlins Elementary Pre-K Readiness Program. We are excited to be able to offer this program to our community, through generous donations from Sinclair Oil Corporation and Carbon County School District #1. This program is evolving to meet the needs of our community, families, and preschool children.
We have the following requirements:
1. We require all children be potty trained and able to take care of restroom needs without assistance.
2. We require all children are able to leave parents without crying and separation anxiety.
3. We require all children are able to follow instructions and sit for at least ten minutes to listen to a story or complete a project.
4. We require all children have up-to-date, certified immunization records and a birth certificate.
5. We require all parents be involved by either volunteering in the classroom or providing snacks, Clorox wipes, Kleenex, or a few other supplies.
We strongly recommend the following:
1. We recommend all children who attend RES preschool be screened by Project Reach prior to coming to preschool. The screening dates are July 16, July 23, and August 13 through August 17. Please call Project Reach at 324-9656 to schedule an appointment. If your child qualifies for services such as speech, occupational therapy, or physical therapy, Project Reach will be able to help your child with those needs. Early intervention is the key to success in education.
2. We recommend all children with summer birthdays, June 1st through September 15th, wait a year before they begin Rawlins Elementary Preschool, so these children will start kindergarten when they are 6 years old. Research shows that children who are the youngest in the class struggle in many ways; academically, socially/emotionally, and physically. According to ed.week.org, “Children who are older when they start kindergarten have a measurable advantage compared to their younger classmates over the long term.” www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2017/08/30/delaying-childs-starting-age-for-s...
3. We recommend children who qualify for Head Start, Project Reach, or are currently attending another preschool, continue with their current program. We strongly support the early childhood education programs in our community. RES Preschool is here to help fulfill the need for an additional preschool and to be a liaison with all other preschools/daycares in our community.
Preschool for the 2018/2019 will be at the 2-5 Rawlins Elementary School, classroom #427. We will begin on the week of Monday, August 20th, 2018. There will be two sessions; Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday at 8:15 to 11:15 for 4 and 5 year olds (these children will attend kindergarten fall of 2019) and Tuesday/Thursday at 11:45 to 2:15 for 3 and 4 year olds (these children will attend kindergarten fall of 2020). We keep our enrollment small (up to 12 students per session) and have 2 adults, an aide and teacher, with the children at all times. We have standard-based instruction, stories, crafts, activities, science/discovery, snack, PE in the 2-5 gym, and music in the music room with school music teacher. While the weather is good, we will also have playground time.
Parents are welcome to visit preschool any time, and younger siblings are welcome to visit with parents.
I am a certified elementary teacher, with a bachelor’s and master’s degree in education. I am also certified in adult/pediatric Red Cross first aid. I have lived and taught elementary school in Rawlins for 18 years. Prior to that time, I taught in Nebraska and Utah, where I owned my own preschool and was an elementary school teacher. My husband and I raised 5 children and now have 10 grandchildren.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email or call me.
Carbon County Early Childhood Liaison
Rawlins Elementary School: 307-328-7900